Why the need for a risk assessment ?

We carry out risk assessments to ensure that the design of your security system is suitable for your needs, taking into consideration your property and associated risks, and your own individual requirements.

What is a monitored alarm system ?

A Monitored intruder alarm is an electronic intruder or fire alarm system that is supported by an Approved remote monitoring or alarm receiving centre (ARC) which provides twenty-four hour monitoring throughout the year.

What is a Bell only system ?

A Bell only alarm system is a security alarm system where only local internal and external sounders are activated.

What happens during a power cut ?

Our burglar alarm systems have a main back-up battery. This battery ensures the system stays operational during power cuts and can power the system for at least 8 hours.  When the power is restored, the battery is will recharge the system and it should continue to work as normal.

What happens if my system has a fault ?

Providing your system has a current maintenance agreement, Aegis will be happy to investigate any faults or false alarms that may arise from your system, if your alarm is within its warranty period we will always attend to resolve any issues you have with the system we have installed.

Why do I need a maintenance agreement ?

Taking out a maintenance agreement and having regular service checks, shows that your alarm system is functioning properly.

Audible alarm systems should be checked once per annum while a system that signals to an approved alarm receiving centre needs to be serviced or maintained twice a year.

Aegis as an NSI approved installer provides a 24 hour emergency call out facility for you to access a duty engineer 24/7.

What will I get from my CCTV System ?

I just want to see a general view around my property

It’s very important to consider what you want from your CCTV system. If you just want to know that something is occurring around your home or business, but are not concerned about being able to recognise or identify anyone, then our basic range CCTV systems, using 4 mega pixel cameras are the best choice, these will provide Monitoring level coverage and can be accessed remotely from your mobile phone for live viewing and playback.

I want to see a more detailed view around my property

If something should happen within the view of the cameras around your home or business and you do want to be able to recognise someone, then our enterprise range CCTV systems, using 6 mega pixel cameras are the best choice, these will provide Recognition level coverage and can be accessed remotely from your mobile phone for live viewing and playback.

I want to be able to identify someone who is around my property

If something should happen within the view of the cameras around your home or business and you want to be able to identify them, then our Pro View range CCTV systems, using 8 mega pixel cameras would be the best choice, these cameras will provide identification level coverage up to 10m away from the camera, and as with our other ranges, can be accessed remotely from your mobile phone for live viewing and playback.

Check out our System store to buy a fully installed Home CCTV System

How do I Manage footage from my Digital CCTV System Recorder ?

With digital CCTV system recorders you can search simply by entering a date and time or pointing to a specific time band on a monitor screen attached to your recorder, in some cases you can also do this from your iPad, Table or mobile phone.

Depending on how the system has been set up, with either motion or continuous recording, this will allow you to review playback and download the required footage you have found, onto a USB stick or other media such as an SD card.

Carrying out this exercise should not interrupt the normal recording of the cameras connected to the system.

Where can CCTV cameras be fitted ?

When planning where to fit CCTV cameras, and what they will be viewing, it is important that you take care that your neighbours privacy is not invaded. Cameras can be fitted internally and externally and come in either bullet or mini dome forms. External cameras are usually located inside weatherproof housings, which comes with heaters to prevent misting up.

How do I know what type or Grade of intruder or burglar alarm system I need ?

For most residential homes, or commercial properties, the decision over which grade of system would be recommended, can be down to the clients insurance company, or our staff can carry out a risk assessment, or if a residential customer a grade 2 system would be provided as standard. There are some residential properties however that due to their size and status, may well require a more detailed onsite survey to establish the best Grade of system required, such buildings may be a Manor House, Stately Home or owned by a high net worth individual or celebrity, each one potentially needing a different level of protection and associated grade of alarm system.

In relation to the latest standards EN 51031 for intruder alarm systems – There are four ‘Grades’ of alarm system to consider, these Grades are based the likely levels of design the alarm would need to meet, in order to resist attack by intruders with anticipated levels of alarm knowledge and tools as shown below:

Grade based on the Intruders thought to have:

1.          Little knowledge and limited tools
2.          Limited knowledge and some tools
3.          Knowledge and full range of tools
4.          Sophisticated knowledge and tools

Grade 1 is a low level of system and not acceptable for police response, Grade 4 systems aren’t generally available, so the most effective choice available is either a Grade 2 or a Grade 3 system, both of which are acceptable for police response.

So who Decides the Grade of Alarm ?

Generally speaking the decision on which Grade of system is required to best protect your home or business property will be reviewed and recommended by either ourselves or alternatively by your insurer.

Aegis have experienced advisors who can assess the risks to your property and provide an assessment and then design an alarm system accordingly, but ultimately the decision is usually taken by you our customer, working together in conjunction with both ourselves and other relevant interested parties like your insurance company, it is quite common for your insurance company to dictate what Grade of system they are willing to accept in return for insuring your property, so it’s worth considering the fact that they may have the overriding decision over the grading of the system.